In OroCommerce, product type can be a Simple and Configurable product. When you’ll create a product, the very first you have to select the product type either simple or configurable from the admin backend of OroCommerce.
Simple Product vs. Configurable Product
- A simple product is a physical, standalone product having a unique SKU that you may wish to ship to your customer.
- A simple product can be used in association with Configurable products.
- Configurable product is a combination of Simple Product.
- Contains different options such as Size, Color and material.
- Each option has a separate SKU.
- These product variant having unique SKU allows the store admin to easy inventory tracking.
Create a Simple Product in OroCommerce
To create a Simplee product in OroCommerce, the very first you need to navigate through Products –> Products in the main menu.
After that, click on the Create Product button from the top right corner as highlighted below:
Once you will click, it brings you to the Product configuration page. You will get the following settings to create a product in OroCommerce:
In general, select product type as simple from the dropdown.
2. Product Family:
Select the product family to address the product options.
- Product Family is a set of attribute groups.
- In the Product family, attributes are organized in a set of attribute groups.
- It shows as titled sections on the OroCommerce storefront.
Note: Once a product family has been assigned to a product that can’t be changed.
3. Master Catalog:
Assign the product in the corresponding product category in the Master Catalog. You can also use the search bar to narrow down your visible category choices.
Once you will be done click on the continue button. Tapping on the continue button appears with an additional product detail page.
In the general section, fill out other required information:
- Owner: Select the owner detail from the drop-down, this value can be changed to another organization in the system.
- SKU: SKU(Stock Keeping Unit) is a unique code contains letters and numbers used to identify a product in the catalog.
- Name: Gives the name to the product.
- Status: Select the product status either “enable” or “disable“. If you wish to display the product in the catalog select “enable” else select “disable“.
- URL Slug: It’s important in search engine optimization, by default it will auto-generate based on the name added but you can modify it if necessary.
- Is featured: Select “Yes” to display the product on the storefront when users logs in under the featured product section else select “No“
- New Arrival: After that, use the dropdown and select “Yes” if you would like to add this when users logs in under the “New Arrivals section” else select “No“. Additionally, a large red icon will display on the storefront to indicate this is a new product.
- Brand: Select the brand name for the selected product from the dropdown. Also, you can use more options to view the list of available brands and to create a new one, click plus(+) icon.
- Unit of Quantity: Enter the unit of quantity for the product, example you’re selling t-shirts with different sizes and colors, so the unit of quantity will be “each”. However, you may select other according to a product with an additional option such as hour, item, kilogram, piece, and set.
- Additional Units: Click on (+Add) button to add an additional unit of quantity.
- Tax Code: Choose the tax code from the drop-down for the taxable items. It will display during checkout into a purchase order.
- Description: Write a long description of the product that will display on the product view page.
- Short Description: Write a short description of the product that will display on the search results page.
Here, add the image of your product, click the plus(+) icon under the image field.
- File: Choose the image of the product.
- Main: Select the main radio button, in case you want to show this image as the main image in the product details field.
- Listing: If you may wanna use this image in catalog listing then select the listing radio button.
- Additional: If you may wanna add multiple images for the selected product, click on the checkbox. Additional images will be displayed under the main product image on the product view page.
- Page Template: Select the page template such as default page, short page, two-columns page, list page for displaying product in frontend store.
- Inventory Status: Select inventory status as In stock, Out of stock or Discontinued from the drop-down.
- Managed Inventory: Simply uncheck Use checkbox to open this field for editing and selecting. Select Yes if required to manage inventory for the product else select No. By default Manage inventory select as “Category defaults”.
- Highlight Low Inventory: This option indicated to buyers that there might not be enough product left in stock for their purchase.
- Inventory Threshold: Enter the minimum quantity to be considered in stock. If the quantity goes down from defined value then it shows product inventory status as out of stock.
- Low Inventory Threshold: Enter the minimum stock level in this field, it will display a trigger warning message if reached to the defined level.
- Backorders: When backorders select as “Yes” buyers can order product quantity when the product may not available in the stock or the inventory is low.
- Decrement Inventory: This option defines the strategy used for decrementing inventory for ordered products.
- Is upcoming: This option indicates that the product is not available in stock currently, but the seller can define the availability date & time for the respective product.
- Minimum Quantity to Order: Enter a number that buyers must purchase as a minimum. You can restrict the customer to buy a minimum number of the product.
- Maximum Quantity to Order: Enter the maximum quantity of the order that customers can purchase for the order.
8. Product Prices:
In this section, add the product fixed price to be displayed on the storefront. Click to add button to add price list, quantity, and value.
- Price List: Select the price list from the drop-down.
- Quantity: Enter the quantity value, you could use one for a single product using unit of each or you can use the quantity of 10 with a unit of a set.
- Value: Enter the price value of the product, use the currency type from the drop-down which you would like to add for this item.
9. Shipping Options:
In order to add the shipping information need to click on the add button, here the seller needs to enter the product unit, weight, dimensions, and freight class.
This will helps the seller to calculate the shipping cost.
- Unit: Enter the product unit.
- Weight: Enter the product weight.
- Dimensions: Enter the product dimensions.
- Freight Class: Enter the freight class as a parcel or select freight class from the drop-down.
Once you will be done with defining the information, lastly click on Save and Close button from the top right corner. This is the way how you can create a product under a specific master catalog in OroCommerce.