Progressive Web Application For Magento2: Progressive Web Applications uses web compatibilities and provides an application experience to the users. It develops from a browser tab and makes pages more immersive with a low friction user experience. The Progressive Web Application is lightning fast compared to the website and supports push notification.
According to the Google developers “Flipkart, India’s largest e-commerce site, decided to combine their web presence and native app into a Progressive Web Application that has resulted in a 70% increase in conversions”. For more details, please visit following link https://developers.google.com/web/showcase/2016/flipkart.
With the use of this feature, the website works faster on a slower internet connection. Due to the faster performance, user engagement increases on the website and results in a very high conversion rate.
- This module supports android chrome, opera browsers, and iOS Safari browser.
- The web push notification is only campatible with the Android devices.
Magento 2 PWA extension supports all Magento 2 responsive templates as well as our Marketplace Multi-Vendor Module for Magento2.
The Progressive Web Application is recommended because it is more immersive and lightning fast than a website or native application. Progressive Web Application also user-friendly if compared to the website and supports the push notification.
The best part of Progressive Web Application is that a user can use many of the features without an internet connection and once the mobile is connected to the internet the data gets synced. In short, you can say that if you are providing a platform to your user which is user-friendly and faster then it will definitely increase the engagement of the users and increase in sale.
- The Website becomes lightning fast.
- More user-friendly.
- Supports push notification.
- No need to download/install.
- Works fast even on a slow connection.
- Increases User engagement.
- Increase conversion rate.
Lighthouse PWA Score
I have developed a native application for my store, do I still need the Progressive Web Application?
For a native application, users first need to search the application in the relative store, download and install it and then they can open and use the application. According to a study, an application loses 20% of its users on every step, from search to start using the app features.
However, a user can start using the progressive web application as soon as they find the application. There, is no need to search, download and install the application.
Also, you need to upgrade the native application with every version of the android. You can check that many of the applications are not available for the most recent or past very old version of Android. However, the Progressive Web Application works with the browser and designed to enhance browser compatibility.
We are not at all saying that a native application is bad but these are few merits of the progressive web application in comparison to native applications.
If you are running a business then you should reach to all type of users. If you are using a well–designed native application like Mobikul then it will surely give you high performance and consume low data but if you want to reach to all types of customers then you should definitely go for Progressive Web Application.
Features – Progressive Web Application for Magento2
- More user-friendly than a web application.
- Works lightning fast if compared to the website.
- Supports push notification for Android devices.
- Completely responsive on all the platforms.
- Launches without the internet or low-quality internet.
- Looks and feels like a native application.
- Users do not need to update the progressive web application.
- No app store requires managing the application.
- Increases user engagement in the store.
- Increases store revenue due to user engagement.
- The application name can be entered by the admin.
- Admin can upload and change the application icon.
- The splash background color of the Progressive Web Application can also be changed by the admin.
- Admin can set the theme color of the Progressive Web Application.
Installation – Progressive Web Application for Magento2
After the successful installation, you have to run these commands in the Magento2 root directory.
First command- php bin/magento setup:upgrade
After running the commands, you have to log in to the admin panel and you have to clear the Cache. You can refer to the below screenshot.
For translation of the module language, navigate through src/app/code/Webkul/Pwa/i18n and edit the en_US.csv file.
Now, translate the words on the right and upload the modified file to the same location. The filename of the translated file should be according to the language and region code like de_DE.csv.
Creating Firebase Product Credentials
In order to use this module, you need to have Firebase Project Credentials, which will be used in the Magento configuration. Please visit this link and create a new project with your Gmail account.
1. After opening the Firebase website, please click CREATE NEW PROJECT button as shown in the above screenshot.
2. A small pop-up window will appear with the name of Create a project, here you have to enter your Project Name and then select your Country/Region.
3. After completing the details click CREATE PROJECT button.
4. After creating your new project click on the Storage and create a new bucket. You can also find the default bucket here.
After creating bucket now go to, Settings menu icon and select Project Settings option. Please view below-attached screenshot. A new Settings page will be opened.
5. In the General tab find the project ID, web API key, etc. under the setting page.
Now click on the button as shown in the image below. This will be used to add the firebase to the web app.
Now, after clicking on the button above Register the app by entering the app nick name and click on register app-
Now after successful registration you can get the credentials which are required for the module configuration.
Now, click CLOUD MESSAGING tab, here you will find your Project Credentials, copy and save your Server Key and Sender ID, Web Push Certificates/ Public Key as displayed below.
These credentials will be used in the Magento configuration.
Configuration – Progressive Web Application for Magento2
After installation of the module, admin can configure the module settings. For this, the admin will navigate to Stores > Configuration > Progressive Web Application as per the below image.
Here, the admin can:
- Status: enable or disable the module.
- Application Name: set the application name.
- Application Short Name: set the application short name.
- Web API Key: The admin can get the Web API key from the firebase in the General tab under the project setting.
- FCM Auth Domain: enter the auth domain name here from the firebase webapp.
- FCM Database URL: enter the FCM database url here
- FCM Project Id: enter the generated FCM Project ID here.
- FCM Storage Bucket: enter the FACM storage bucket here.
- Messaging Sender Id: enter the sender ID here.
- FCM App Id: enter the FCM App ID here.
- Server Key: Server key which are generated using the firebase web app and it can be find in cloud messaging under the project setting.
- Public Key: enter the public key here and it can be find in cloud messaging under the project setting as web push certificates as shown in the image below-
- Application Icon: upload application icon.
- Splash Background Color: set the splash background color.
- Theme Color: set the theme background color.
Admin can manage the Push Notifications by going to PWA > Manage Push Notifications. From here admin can add/edit or delete any push notification. Admin can also enable or disable any push notification and can ‘Push’ the notification message by clicking on “Send“.
For adding or editing a Push Notification Message, the admin has to provide the Title, Message Body, Target URL, and the message icon image.
How A Customer Can Use Progressive Web Application for Magento2
A customer can use the Progressive Web Application in both Android and iOS devices.
If the customer is using an Android device:
When a customer visits the website on a browser of the mobile device, then he will see a pop-up requesting for the permission to send Push Notification to the customer.
When a Push Notification is sent, it can be seen like the screenshot shown below.
A customer can open the website in a browser of the mobile device. Here we have shown the working on chrome. User can see the Add to home screen button (Plus Sign) near to the cart, and on the bottom of the page as shown in the image below-
The customer can click on the “Plus Sign” button near to the cart or click on the bottom of the webpage to add the app to the home screen. Now a pop window will appear as shown in the image below –
Now the user can see the application icon on the home screen of the mobile like this. A user can click on the application to launch it.
After clicking on the application, the application launches with a splash screen. The splash screen shows the application name and icon. The application launches in the same way as the native app.
After the splash screen, a user can see the home screen of the application. The customer can also see all the available products using the PWA app as shown in the image below –
The customers can click on the product and add the product to the cart same as in the native app.
After adding the product to the cart, the customer can process further to checkout and then complete the order.
If the customer is using an iOS device:
A customer can open the website in a browser of the mobile device. Here we have shown the working on Safari. From here customer can click on the menu icon of Safari to add the application on the home screen.
From the Safari menu, a user can select ‘Add to home screen’ option to add the progressive web application to the home screen.
That’s all for the Progressive Web Application for Magento2 module, still, have any issue feel free to add a ticket and let us know your views to make the module better http://webkul.uvdesk.com/
Current Product Version - 2.1.0
Supported Framework Version - Magento 2.0.x 2.1.x 2.2.x 2.3.x