Like every other year, this year also, Odoo released a new version of the software Odoo 16. And with it, Odoo has introduced some new features and modules in the platform. However, with this release, Odoo is soon going to end the LTS (Long Term Support) of many of their enterprise clients who are using their Odoo.sh or OnPremise on versions 12 and 13. Hence, they would need to migrate their Odoo to the later versions to continue availing of this support benefit.
In this article, we will discuss Odoo Long Term Support, Data migration, and how you can still avail of Odoo long term support.
What is Odoo Long Term Support?
Odoo Long term support is a PLMP (Product Lifecycle Management Policy) where they maintain a stable release of the software for a more extended period corresponding to the standard edition.
With the launch of version 16, Odoo has revised its long-term support policy and made a few updates. These are
- It releases one LTS or long-term support each year for its enterprise customers.
- The most recent 3 LTS will be covered under it. What does it mean? Suppose you are using Odoo 14 and Odoo launches version 16, so you will continue to get Odoo Long term support because the most recent 3 versions are Odoo 16, 15, and 14. But if you are using Odoo 13, you won’t be getting any Odoo long term support now.
- In the Odoo long term support, they will provide daily updates of stable package installers with the latest bug fixes, which arise when migrating.
In case, if you are still wondering whether your Odoo version will be supported or not? check out this supported version list from Odoo- Odoo Supported Versions.
Odoo Company ? Read More
What is Data Migration?
It is a procedure of moving data from a different platform to Odoo, Migrating from a local server to an Online/cloud server without version change or vice versa, and Upgrading to a newer version. Usually, companies migrate data when a new version is introduced or when an older version becomes obsolete.
Let’s look at the different scenarios of data migration.
Different Odoo Data Migration Scenarios
- Migrating to Odoo from a Different Platform
Many customers wish to migrate their data from a different platform to Odoo because of its ready-to-go solution for their business needs.
For these queries, we perform GAP analysis and access which functionalities are present in the client’s platform and are already available in Odoo. After that, we sought the remaining functionalities from already prepared Webkul modules.
Lastly, we customize the remaining functionalities for the client.
- Migrating from a local server to an Online/cloud server or Vice versa
This might sound simple, but they are not. In server migration, data is migrated from a local host to a cloud host such as Odoo.sh. In this migration, only the data is transferred from one server to another. Additionally, this involves steps that move data while keeping the Odoo version the same.
- Upgrading to the Newer Version
Here, you migrate the Odoo data from one version to another. Suppose you are using Odoo 15 and want to upgrade to Odoo 16. This upgradation is also a form of migration to a newer version.
Advantages of Data Migration
Data migration has the following advantages for you and your business.
The most significant benefit of data migration is that it provides enhanced agility for your business. You need to migrate because technology is constantly changing and evolving, so you need to upgrade to a newer version to enjoy the new features.
If you migrate to a newer version of Odoo, you will get new features and better stability, speed, and user experience. Also, it will help you utilize time and other resources to their optimum.
Migrating data provides your business with the benefits of simplified management of data, better reliability, and improved performance.
You are responsible for ensuring that any data you hold is secure and that your data protection processes adhere to regulatory compliance. You require multi-level security measures and intelligence threat protection of your data with the appropriate defense against threats and cyber attacks.
But, it should also be accessible for deletion following data regulations and GDPR compliance.
You can efficiently restructure the business when your business data is transferable, accessible, and secure. This flexibility is advantageous to companies that are in the initial phase of their business.
Why and Who needs to Migrate Data?
Now you understand what data migration is and how it is advantageous to your business. But you must be wondering, why do you need data migration?
The answer is simple, the company just launched Odoo 16, and with every new release, they update their Odoo long term support policy. And according to the latest policies, they will no longer provide support to Odoo Enterprise customers using Odoo.sh for version 13.
And for the answer to Who needs to migrate data refers to those Odoo Enterprise customers who are still using Odoo version 13 via Odoo.sh service.
If you migrate to Odoo 14, 15, or 16, you may continue to receive long-term support.
Which Odoo Version to Choose for Migration?
It’s entirely up to you to choose the correct version for migration. We are here to provide any migration assistance you require just contact us. But which version to choose among Odoo 14, 15, and 16?
To help you understand Odoo 14, 15, and 16, we have prepared a concise feature list that can help you make the right decision.
Odoo V14 or Odoo 14 offered the following new functionalities to its customers.
- Rebuilt the website builder module with new features and functionalities.
- Added the ability to automatically create updated reports and spreadsheets.
- Upgraded the Inventory and MRP menus and added new smart warnings.
- Odoo POS module is 100% mobile friendly from this version.
- Added data cleaning modules tend to unnecessary files and duplication.
However, if you want to see the entire list of new features, refer to Odoo 14 Release Note.
Odoo V15 or Odoo 15 was introduced with these new features.
- Option to mark the product as favorite and filtered. And you can add customer signatures to sales orders.
- Customers can subscribe to recurring shipping and orders.
- Added payment via gift card options in eCommerce.
- Redesigned pipeline and lead management with Gmail addon.
- Web builder with the functionality of custom shape and design for images.
You can check the entire feature list here- Odoo 15 Release Note.
Odoo V16 or Odoo 16 have been added with the following features to ease your business.
- New tools and features in accounting, which include a ‘warning/alert’ function to control customer credit for sales and invoicing.
- Introduced a Knowledge app, which is an information-sharing hub. Business proposals, blogs, documents, etc., can be created and shared among teams effortlessly.
- An improved website builder that combines the front-end and back-end of the website modules to provide a similar user experience for optimized customization.
- Added promotions, coupons, and discounts in sales, POS, and website apps. Also, all the 3 modules have an e-wallet system, and gift vouchers are available for sales orders.
- In the email marketing app, you can now modify the global properties of the mailing list one at a time.
To check out the entire Odoo 16 feature list, refer to Odoo 16 Release Note.
How Can Webkul help you in Data Migration?
Now, you are well aware of the facts and know what needs to be done to continue receiving Odoo Long-Term support in Odoo. But how Webkul comes into the picture?
Webkul is Odoo Ready Partner and who provides Odoo App extension, migration, and development services for the past 11 years.
Moreover, we have assisted many of our customers in Odoo migration. We have migrated their Odoo or any other platform data to their desired version of Odoo, such as 16, 15, 14, etc. Further, we have helped many customers successfully migrate their data from one version to another. You can check out our Odoo migration service from here.
To know the different stages of Odoo data migration by Webkul, read Odoo 13 Migration – Why and How to Migrate to Odoo 13.
To conclude, I would suggest that you migrate your Odoo V12 or V13 to the latest or any other version before your Odoo Long term support expires. And I recommend you move to Odoo 16 because it has many new features and is more secure, reliable, and fast than the previous versions.
Moreover, if you migrate to Odoo 16, you won’t need to migrate your data next year too. However, the final choice is yours because only you know what’s best for your business.
I hope you find the blog helpful, do let us know in the comment how much you like this blog.