Since its inception in 2005, Odoo has come a long way- From an ERP solution named TinyERP to Odoo- a complete business solution. And the most recent launch Odoo 16, has taken the software way ahead. It is feature packed and offers many improved features over the previous versions.
The primary benefits of Odoo are customization, integrated modules, improved accounting, planning, reporting, and complete visibility. These and numerous other extensive perks make it an excellent business management solution for scaling and sizing. But, to keep up with the competitive market, technological trends, and customer demands, you need to migrate to the latest Odoo 16. It is not to avail new features and functionalities but to be the best in your domain.
So, without waiting, let’s move on to the various requirements, components, and other topics relating to Odoo 16 migration.
Why Migrate to Odoo 16?
Odoo is a popular choice among SMEs (Small and Mid-Size Enterprises). And offer benefits that you can leverage with Odoo 16 migration. These new benefits include:
- Comparing the performance with the previous version, Odoo 16 has several feature updates like accelerated Intrastats reports for report validation, changes in global attributes in the mailing list, manufacturing order tracking, and many more.
- There are a few massive changes in the UI/UX of Odoo 16, especially the UX. Each module differs slightly from the previous version. It elevates the user experience with some simple interface changes.
- Odoo 16 allows the automation of multiple services, which was absent in the previous version. For instance, it permits you to force backorder to get it from the primary supplier instead of canceling it, eliminating a negative shopper experience.
- The new version is comparatively more scalable than prior versions. It helps scale and expand the business reach and help it flourish with this update.
- Odoo 16 has patch updates, bug fixes, and security improvements which will fix many issues of the previous Odoo versions.
So, these are the reasons why you need Odoo 16 migration. However, what will be the next step if you decide to migrate your Odoo version?
Odoo Company ? Read More
Considerations before Odoo Migration
Majorly, every odoo migration has four considerations, namely:
- How old is the current version?
The question focuses on your Odoo’s current versions meaning the one you are using, such as Odoo 13 or older. If you are a client with LTS support, you must migrate to Odoo 16, 15, or 14 to continue receiving your LTS support.
- What are the risk involved in Odoo Migration?
The migration process is complex as it involves multiple steps that need to be practiced in order (step by step) to minimize risk and smoothen the process. Common risks involved are:
- Forgetting to create an Odoo backup.
- Data Leaks,
- Connectivity issues with the database,
- High downtime during migration,
- Incompatible modules and apps
- Improper testing of migrated modules and data,
- Unattended and unsolved bugs after migration.
Odoo solution is the backbone of your business operation. Hence, you need to avail of Odoo migration services from Odoo professionals, as they can help in seamless Odoo 16 migration.
- Noting and highlighting customizations
Highly customizable is one of the perks of using Odoo, and many businesses use it for their various needs with slight customization. However, minute customization can mess up the whole migration. Therefore, disclose all the customization to the Odoo development company before migration.
- Do you plan to switch from Odoo Community to Enterprise edition?
Which Odoo edition are you using, Community or enterprise? Besides, if you plan to upgrade from the community to the enterprise version, you will have more features at your disposal, but you must evaluate the costs too.
Odoo 16 Migration Process
Odoo 16 data migration primarily focuses on three aspects:
- Data Migration
- App Migration or Third-party module migration
- Odoo Migration
In the Odoo Data Migration stage, the static and dynamic data are migrated from the older version to the newer one. During the process, it is ensured that all the data remain intact.
In the second stage, Third-Party Apps (which you bought from an Odoo partner or Odoo Apps Store) are migrated after verifying whether you need them after migration. Necessary actions are taken according to the module’s needs.
Lastly, your core Odoo modules will be upgraded to the latest Odoo 16. After that, you can utilize the new features of the version.
Steps involved in Odoo Migration Services
The entire migration process consists of several stages that are enfolded below:
1st Step- Plan is the first and most compelling stage. Here, your Odoo data is analyzed, understood, and a strategy formulates for the process.
2nd Step- After planning, preparation comes into the picture. It includes creating Odoo data backup, setting up the sandbox, etc. Most importantly, delete every redundant and corrupted data before taking a backup.
3rd Step- Next in the process are Odoo migration services, which involve migrating everything from the previous version to the current one. However, the Odoo migration duration and cost vary from project to project.
4th Step- How can a migration be completed without testing the migrated data. This step ensures proper testing of data and Odoo modules before deploying it on the client’s server. Also, it confirms that everything is in the correct order.
5th Step- After validating successful Odoo migration services. The last step is deployment on the client’s server, which involves updating redirecting URLs, entries, etc.
Tips for Odoo 16 Migration
Before reaching out to any Odoo development company or Odoo migration services provider, you need a detailed list of the below-emphasized points.
- It removes all corrupt and redundant data and forms a list of all the necessary data with the reason for its importance.
- Calculate the data size, which you must migrate, and evaluate it to find the appropriate method.
- After migrated data deployment, ensure the Odoo development company thoroughly test the system.
- It compares and updates the schema of migrated data if needed in case of alteration.
- Test the new features in the Odoo Sandbox in a test environment.
- Also, migrating to Odoo 16 depends on several factors that amalgamate customization level, Odoo version, Odoo modules, and amount of data.
- And most importantly, choose Odoo development company for a hassle-free and smooth migration process.
No doubt that migrating to Odoo 16 will offer you a lot of perks and features that are helpful to make your business operation seamless. The considerations help you understand things that are necessary before migration. The migration process elaborates on the entire process and how migration will be performed.
Further, the migration tips help you sort things and strategize the correct path for Odoo migration. In addition, the linked blog will help you choose the right Odoo partner for Odoo 16 Migration.
I hope you find the blog helpful, let us know in the comment.