Akeneo Web To Print extension act as a connector between Akeneo and Adobe InDesign. Using this extension, you can export products from Akeneo PIM to Adobe InDesign. The products exported can be easily categorised to documents like print catalogs, brochures, magazines and other print materials.
Print catalogs are one of the efficient ways by which retailers can advertise their products, by providing the pamphlets directly into the hands of the consumer.
Please Note – Akeneo Web To Print is compatible with Community Edition, Enterprise Edition, and Cloud (PaaS/Flexibility) Edition of Akeneo.
- This module works with Akeneo 2.0.x, 2.1.x, 2.2.x, and 2.3.x. Download Akeneo from here
Check out the following video tutorials below:
- How to get configure Akeneo Web2Print extension with Adobe InDesign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7uegiSyag
- Create export jobs for exporting products data from Akeneo to Adobe InDesign
- Re-fetch export data from Adobe InDesign
- Send multiple images with the content
- Also works with product models
- Filter products using categories, families, locales, identifier
- Source code open for customization
Follow the below steps for installing Adobe Web To Print extension in Akeneo PIM Platform.
- Unzip the respective extension zip and then merge “src” folder into akeneo project root directory.
- Goto app/AppKernel.php and add line
in function registerProjectBundles()
- Goto app/config/routing.yml and add these lines at the top of the file
web2print_connector: resource: "@Web2PrintBundle/Resources/config/routing.yml" prefix: /
- You have to navigate first to Akeneo installation directory (Ex: cd /opt/bitnami/apps/akeneo/htdocs). After SSH, you have to run the command to your Akeneo server by the terminal.
rm -rf ./var/cache/** && php bin/console pim:install:asset --env=prod && php bin/console assets:install web --symlink && yarn run webpack && php bin/console d:s:u --force
5. You have to restart your web server like Apache, Nginx. Run the command for Apache web server.
sudo service apache2 restart
Common Issues After Installation
It might happen that even after proper installation, upon opening your Akeneo admin dashboard, you see a loading screen. In that case, do check for the following solution:
- Webpack Installation: If you get the below error
It means that webpack is not installed in your system. Run the following command
npm install --save-prod webpack npm install
- Module routing.yml is not configured properly. Re-check the routing.yml file as mentioned in the 3rd step of Module Installation
- Clear your browser cache.
Creating Products in Akeneo
To create a new product in Akeneo
- Go to Products > Create and select Product option.
- Enter SKU and choose a product family.
- Fill in all the production information for this new product.
- Upload multiple images of a product
- Select a particular category for the product. You can also choose more than one category for a product.
Web To Print Export Job
Once you have created or imported the products in Akeneo, you can now move forward to the export process.
- Go to Exports>Create Export Profile and enter any code, label and select ‘Web2Print Export Job‘ option.
- Save the profile go to the Content section and select your channel where your products will be exported. Choose the locales for deciding in what language you will be sending the content.
- You can make use of filters to exports only selected products. You can filter products based on family, status, completeness, category, and time condition. If you want to export only one or more product, you can do that by entering SKU value in the identifier section.
Run Export Job
Once you have saved the export profile information, you can now click Export Now button and wait for the execution process to get completed.
You can see the progress of the export process as below. Moreover, if there is any error you can also see it here.
Configuration For Adobe InDesign
Follow the below process to configure Adobe InDesign for Adobe Web To Print extension.
Turn on the Debug Mode
Open the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.CSXS.8.plist and add a row with key PlayerDebugMode, of type String, and value 1.
Open the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/CSXS.8 and add a key named PlayerDebugMode, of type String, and value 1.
You should only need to do this once.
Relocating web2print extension folder. Find the web2print extension folder in the zip file that you have downloaded. Now that the system is ready to load the custom extension, the last thing we have to do is copy our extension into the shared extensions folder on disk.
Copy the extension folder into ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions
Copy the extension folder into %APPDATA%AdobeCEPextensions (If the directory CEPextensions doesn’t exist inside Adobe, you can create it manually and put the extension folder web2print inside extensions folder)
Creating Print Document in Adobe InDesign
Now that the extension has been configured, we are ready to create a print document in Adobe InDesign. Follow the below process:
- Go to Menu panel >> Window >>Extensions >> Akeneo Web2Print
- Enter the Akeneo credentials and fetch data.
- After that click on “Add data to data merge” button.
- Go to ‘Data merge Panel’ in Indesign from Menu panel >> Windows >> Utilities >> Data merge
- Create a template for a product, place placeholders in it by dragging them from Data merge panel
- Click on Create merged document icon, Select options for data merge then Merge data.
- Now you will get the Merged Document.
For any issues related to this module, please create a support ticket at- https://webkul.uvdesk.com/en/customer/create-ticket Also, for any pre-sales queries or customization discussion, please drop an email to email@example.com
Current Product Version - 1.0.2
Supported Framework Version - Akeneo 2.0.x, 2.1.x, 2.2.x, and 2.3.x