Prestashop Google Tag Manager: Tags are snippets of code that are added to a site and used to gather unique information about visitors and their on-site behaviours.
Manually assigning the tags to web pages and managing them can be a tedious and time-consuming process.
Integrate Google Tag Manager with your Prestashop store to easily manage and deploy the marketing tags without the need to change the code.
Google Tag Manager is a code management system that allows you to add, update, and manage tags easily and quickly.
Simply place a small snippet of code in your Prestashop store to connect it to the Tag Manager Servers.
Prestashop Company ? Read More
Whenever an event like product view, customer sign-in, category page load, add to cart, checkout or purchase occurs on your Prestashop store, the triggers are evaluated based on the events and the tags will fire accordingly. Multiple other events can also be configured as explained further in this user guide.
Prestashop Google Tag Manager module is compatible with PrestaShop 8.x.x
- Supports Google Analytics 4 (GA4).
- This module is MultiShop compatible.
- Easily Configure the Google Tag Manager within your Prestashop store.
- The Module works for all the products on various store pages – Product page, Category page, Cart page, Order page and other product listing pages also.
- Track standard events like Product View, Category View, Add to Cart, Customer Sign in, and orders placed.
- Track multiple other events such as view product listing, select product, view cart, remove from cart, begin checkout, add shipping info, add payment info and full or partial refund event.
- Check and download Google Tag Manager (tags and triggers) sample container files.
- Import tags in bulk using sample container files.
- Add code snippets of Google Tag Manager in your Prestashop store.
- Enable or disable sending of data on Google Tag Manager.
- Track and check analytics of your Prestashop store on Google.
- Also, measure your eCommerce conversion rate with customer shopping and checkout behavior from the Google Analytics dashboard.
How to Install Prestashop Google Tag Manager
- Firstly, go to the module manager in the back office and click on ‘upload a module’.
- After that, drag and drop the module file or select the file from the system.
- In this way, the module installation will be successful.
Prestashop Google Tag Manager Configuration
After the installation of the module, you need to configure it. Under the configuration settings, you have to:
- Specify the Tag ID that you obtained after creating a container in Google Tag Manager account.
- Enter the Tracking ID that you got from Google Analytics Universal account or Measurement ID from your Google Analytics 4 account. Whichever you are going to use.
Once you have saved the configuration settings, you can configure the events you want to track.
Under event configuration, you can decide which data you want to send to Google Tag Manager.
- Customer Data – Tracks the event when a customer login or creates an account on the store. You can view customer’s ID, name, and email ID when he sign in on the store.
- Cart Data – Tracks the event when a customer adds a product to the cart, removes a product from cart or proceeds to checkout. View details of the product added to cart and cart details such as cart ID and cart price on Google Tag Manager.
- Order Data – Track the event when someone orders a product on the store. View details of products purchased and details such as payment and shipping method used for placing order.
- Product Data – Track the event when someone visits the product page, search a product, view product listing or selects a product. View details such as product ID, name, price, and category on Google Tag Manager.
- Category Data – Track the event when someone visits the category page. View category ID, category name, and the parent category on Google Tag Manager.
- Purchase Data – Track the events when someone purchases a product, adds shipping or payment. Also track event for refund.
Sample Files: Admin can check sample container files of the google tag manager (tags and triggers) and download it.
Admin can use the sample container files to import tags in bulk instead of creating them one by one.
To import tags go to Tag Manager > Admin > Import Container :
How to get the Tag ID?
To obtain the tag Id you must first create an account (Signup is free) at Google Tag Manager.
Now, after going to this link follow the below steps:
Click on “Create Account” button.
Enter the account name as per your requirement.
Now specify the container name, select where to use the container and then click on Create button.
On clicking the create button, a popup appears on the screen where you have to click on the Yes button to confirm Google Tag Manager Terms of Service.
Now the screen that appears, here you will see the tag Id on the top menu bar. You need to put this tag ID in the back office configuration to connect your website to tag manager servers.
Also, you can view the tag ID under Accounts.
Deploy Google Analytics And Other 3rd Party Tag With Google Tag Manager
Using Prestashop Google Tag Manager, you can deploy Google Analytics and other 3rd party tags with Google Tag Manager.
To configure and deploy Google Analytics with Google Tag Manager, you need a Google Analytics tracking ID.
For example, we are using the Google Analytics tag to configure it with Google Tag Manager.
Note: To configure other 3rd party tags, there must be a tag Id.
Here we used the Google Analytics tracking id to configure the Google Analytics with Google Tag Manager.
How to get the Tracking ID?
In order to get the tracking ID, you need to sign in to your Analytics account, after that follow the following steps:
Click on Admin.
Now, click on Create Account.
Mention the account name and click on next.
Now, under Property setup, specify the property name, select time zone, currency, and then click on Show advanced options.
Now, enable “Create a Universal Analytics property”, specify the Website URL, and then click on next.
Choose whether you want to create both GA4 and Universal Analytics Property or only Universal Analytics Property.
Select industry category, business size, Google Analytics use for your business and click on Create.
Now accept Google Analytics Terms of Service to proceed.
Once created, go to All accounts and there you will find the Universal Analytics tracking ID:
For GA4 Measurement ID, please follow the below process.
Go to Admin > Data Streams :
View Measurement ID
Adding a New Tag
From Google Tag Manager, click on the “Add a new tag” button as shown in the below image-
Now enter the name of the tag and click on “Tag Configuration” to configure the tag as shown in the above image-
On clicking the “Tag Configuration” button, a new slide will open from where you can select the tag type.
Now, you can configure the tag and choose the “Track Type” accordingly from the different tracking type – Page View, Event, Transaction, Social, Timing, Decorate Link and Decorate Form.
Also, admin can configure the Google Analytics Setting.
Now, by clicking on “Enable overriding settings in this tab” enter the Google Analytics “Tracking ID” here.
Also, you can choose a trigger to make the tag fire or can also add a new trigger by clicking Add a new tag>triggering.
Note: You can configure fields to set in the GA4 Configuration tag to set parameters (e.g., measurement ID) that need to remain consistent across all events on a page. GA4 Event tags inherit the parameters of the GA4 Configuration tag.
Easily add code snippets of Google Tag Manager to the Prestashop store and track, check the Analytics for the store.
Various events displayed on Tag Manager
When a user visits the product page, it is visible under Data Layer in the Tag Manager.
Whenever a customer orders a product from your store, the data layer shows the details of the product ordered as well as shipping and payment method.
When a customer add multiple products to the cart and then go to the View Cart section, the data layer displays the details of the products within the shopping cart.
Whenever the customer login to the store it is visible in the tag manager. The customer personal details such as name and email id are displayed in the data layer.
Whenever a category page is loaded, the category details such as category ID, category name, and parent category are displayed in the data layer of Google Tag Manager.
Similarly, admin can view the data for all the events enabled in the module configuration like View product listing, select product, view cart, remove from cart, begin checkout, add shipping info, add payment info and full or partial refund events.
Note: Apart from customer login and signup event, data format will vary in Google Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4 account. For example on GA4 data format for:
Product Data: View Item.
Cart Data: Add to cart
Ecommerce Conversion Rate
Now, on the analytics dashboard, you can also view the shopping behaviour & the checkout behaviour of your customers.
Data display format on Google Universal Analytics.
Data display format on Google Analytics 4
This was all about Prestashop Google Tag Manager Module. I hope this document will help you in checking the functionality of the module in a better way.
Also, do let us know about your views in the comments.
“For any kind of technical assistance or query, please raise a ticket at http://webkul.uvdesk.com or send us a mail at [email protected]“
Also, please explore our Prestashop development services and vast range of quality Prestashop addons.
Current Product Version - 1.1.1
Supported Framework Version - 8.x.x, 1.7.x.x
Leave a Comment