Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment Gateway – Subscription and recurring payment is the ideal choice for an eCommerce store offering the products or services that customers need to buy repeatedly.
Nowadays, customers subscribe for vast amount of products like groceries, clothing, skincare products, medicines, etc. Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment Gateways allows you to create flexible subscription plans and offers such recurring services.
Sell product subscriptions and accept recurring payments via Stripe payment gateway. Customers can subscribe to the products, get them at a regular time interval and the payment is deducted automatically from their accounts as per the subscribed plan.
With the recurring payments feature, your customers now don’t have to go through the lengthy checkout process each time they need to buy the same product.
Note: Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment Gateway module is compatible with PrestaShop version 8.x.x.
Prestashop Company ? Find out More
Check the overview of the plugin in the video mentioned below –
Features of the Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment module
- The subscription amount deducts from the buyer’s account, as per the subscribed plan.
- Admin can use the module either in test or live mode, as per the requirement.
- Provide the API keys according to the mode selected.
- Specify whether the created stripe plans will delete from the stripe.com on uninstalling the module or not.
- Choose to add product amount with subscription amount at the time of checkout or not.
- Create the stripe plan on store itself, which will automatically synchronize to admin’s stripe account.
- Select default option as a one-time purchase or subscribe.
- Choose to make the payment on the host website or redirect the customer to the Stripe website for payment.
- Admin can also synchronize the stripe plan from stripe account to prestashop.
- Specify the plan ID and name while creating plan. Plan Id will be unique for every plan.
- Admin need to specify the amount & the duration of the subscription plan.
- Can also add the trial period of the plan. The duration will start after the completion of trial period.
- Admin can also edit/delete the subscription plan.
- Admin can assign plan to products in two way.
- With a new tab in the add/update product page, admin can assign any plan to the product.
- Assign products with or without combinations to the subscription plan.
- Admin can update/delete the assigned plan from the product.
- View the separate list of transactions made through Stripe.
- Admin can either refund full or partial amount to customer for their order.
- Admin can view the list of subscribed customers.
- Cancel the subscription of any customer.
- Buyer can view the subscription details on product page.
- Subscription is only possible through stripe payment gateway.
- Stripe Payment Gateway supports Mastercard, Visa, American Express, JCB, Discover.
- Admin can view the subscription detail in the buyer’s order detail page.
- Enable/Disable to offer other payment options offered by Stripe like Klarna, AfterPay, Sofort, GiroPay, Ideal etc at checkout.
- Choose to display the alternative payment option either in the tabs or accordion on the self-host payment page.
Note: This module is compatible with SCA(Strong Customer Authentication).
The module is multi-shop compatible.
How to install the Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment module
- Firstly, go to the module manager in back office and click on ‘upload a module’.
- After that, drag and drop the module file or select the file from the system.
- In this way, the module installation will be successful.
How to configure the Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment module
After successful installation, an admin can configure the module.
Note that the admin has to activate the Stripe payment methods at Stripe end as shown in the below image.
Go to Settings -> Payment Methods
Delete all stripe plans from Stripe when module uninstall
If admin has enabled the “Delete all stripe plans from stripe account on uninstalling the module” then all the subscription plans added to admin’s stripe account will be deleted when admin uninstall the module from the Prestashop store.
If admin has disabled the “Delete all stripe plans from stripe account on uninstalling the module” then all the subscription plans added to admin’s stripe account will not be deleted when admin uninstall the module from the Prestashop store.
Add product price with plan price at the time of checkout
If admin has enabled this field, then the product amount is added with the subscription amount at the time of checkout. And, if disabled, then product price will not be included along with plan price at the time of checkout.
How to get the API keys for Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment module
Admin needs to have their account on Stripe Payment Gateway. Once the admin is logged in to the Stripe account, go to user account settings. Now, an admin needs to go to the API keys tab to get the API key for either test or live mode.
For new SCA(Strong Customer Authentication), an admin has to enable Checkout Client Integration as shown below:
As per the requirement, an admin can fill the API keys in the module configuration.
After successful installation, new tabs add to manage the stripe payment with recurring and refund options.
Four new tabs add to the Stripe Manager tab. We will discuss the functionality of each tab in detail
Create Stripe Plans
Go to Stripe manager -> Create stripe plans for creating a stripe subscription plan.
On clicking Create plan, an admin can create a stripe subscription plan on the Prestashop store itself which will directly synchronize on the admin’s stripe account.
Admin does not have to mention “Trial Period” separately at the stripe end.
In this way, you can easily create subscription plans.
Assign Stripe Subscription
After creating the plans, an admin has to assign stripe subscription plans to products. So that the products can become subscription-based products if a customer makes the payment through the stripe payment gateway.
Go to Stripe manager -> Assign stripe subscription
- Assigning product with combinations
- Assigning product without combination(s)
Once admin has assigned the products to the subscription plans, it can view the plan details and number of products assigned to the particular plan under “Subscription products”.
By clicking on the “View” button, admin can view the products and number of product combinations added to a plan.
Workflow of the Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment module
Purchasing subscription product with Stripe
On the product page, a customer can see whether a product is subscription-based or not. On visiting the product page, the detail related to the subscription plan is also visible to them.
Once buyers proceed to purchase the product, the stripe payment gateway will be available to buyers to purchase the subscription-based product.
When admin selects Allow payment through as Stripe hosted checkout
After clicking on the “Pay by debit/credit card” payment option, the customer lands on the payment page of the Stripe website. Here, customers can complete the payment by filling required details.
If admin has enabled the addition of product price with plan price, then product price will be included with plan price at the time of checkout.
If disabled the addition of product price, then the product amount is not added with the subscription amount, and only the plan price is displayed on the payment page.
When admin selects Allow payment through as Self hosted (Stripe payment form)
The customer will not redirect to Stripe’s website for the payment.
- The amount displayed on the payment page is only the product amount. The subscription amount will automatically deduct while paying through the stripe gateway. The detail of the full payment made by “stripe payment gateway” will display on the order confirmation page.
- The alternate payment methods will only support the recurring feature on the Stripe-hosted payment page.
List of alternate payment methods offered by Stripe that support recurring payment on the stripe-hosted payment page
- SEPA Direct Debit
- ACH Direct Debit
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Cash App Pay
- Canadian pre-authorized debits
List of alternate payment methods offered by Stripe that support recurring payment on stripe-hosted payment page via SEPA Direct Debit
- iDEAL – supported through Stripe via SEPA Direct Debit
- Sofort – supported through Stripe via SEPA Direct Debit
- Bancontact – supported through Stripe via SEPA Direct Debit
Here is the list of alternate payment methods offered by Stripe that do not support recurring payment and are only available for purchasing normal products
- Afterpay / Clearpay
- WeChat Pay
Admin can go to “Orders” to view the order detail.
Purchasing non-subscription products with Stripe
If the customer has purchased a non-subscription product using Stripe payment then as enabled by admin, other payment options will be available.
When admin selects Allow payment through as Stripe hosted checkout
The alternate payment option offered by Stripe will be displayed on the Stripe payment page.
When admin selects “Allow payment through“ as “Self hosted (Stripe payment form)“
The alternative payment option will display like this when the admin chooses to display them in tabs.
The alternative payment option will display like this when the admin chooses to display them in Accordion.
Admin can view the list of those customers who have purchased the products with subscription plans.
After a customer places the order, an admin will be able to view the list of stripe transactions under the ‘Transactions’ tab.
Front End View
Buyer can view the list of their subscription in the new tab. Go to My Account -> My Subscription.
In this way, an admin can successfully provide subscription-based products to buyers. Buyers can easily make the payment for the same and the amount will automatically deduct from their Stripe account regularly as per the plan.
So, this was all about Prestashop Stripe Recurring Payment Gateway Module. I hope this document will help you in checking the functionality of the module in a better way. Also, do let us know about your views in the comments.
Current Product Version - 5.4.1
Supported Framework Version - 8.x.x, 1.7.x.x