Prestashop Google WebP image converter module helps to convert various types of image formats into WebP format. WebP images use both lossy & lossless compression method to produce the best quality images with lesser size.
WebP is an image format which provides lossless & lossy compression for images. It is used to make richer & smaller images for making web pages faster.
According to Google, WebP lossless images are 26% smaller than PNGs and WebP lossy images are 25-34% smaller than JPEG images. Lossless WebP compression applies already seen image fragments in order to exactly reconstruct new pixels. It can also use a local palette if it finds no interesting match.
To know more about compression techniques, read WebP Compression Techniques in Detail.
Features of the Prestashop Google WebP Image Converter Module
- Convert various types of image formats into WebP format.
- It helps to reduce the size of an image.
- View the conversion process of images on the configuration page.
- A button to generate remaining images becomes available on the configuration page in case if the converter failed to convert some of the images.
- Convert images of the product.
- Select category images to convert in WebP format.
- Convert the images of the manufacturer.
- Choose to convert the image of the supplier in WebP format.
- Convert and show the shop logo image in the WebP format.
- Convert store images into WebP format.
- It helps to reduce page size & thus loading time.
- Upload cwebp binary for the proper conversion of the images via cwebp.
How to install the Prestashop Google WebP Image Converter Module
- Go to Module Manager in the Back office and click on ‘upload a module’.
- Now, Drag and drop the module file or select the file from the system.
- In this way, the module installation will be successful.
How to configure the Prestashop Google WebP Image Converter Module
After the successful installation of module, a new tab to manage settings of the WebP is added on the dashboard.
For the functioning of the module, you have to download a cwebp binary for your operating system from the link given in the module. After that upload the downloaded file via the field provided in the settings.
Generate image settings
There are three other options too in the configuration of the module.
As you can see that first option only allows you to show or hide WebP images at front office.
The 2nd option allows you to convert & show the shop logo in WebP format.
In the 3rd option, select the type of images for which you want to generate WebP images.
In the ‘converter options’, there are multiple advanced options that you can use for better conversion of images.
Converters: Select the conversion methods to use. cwebp is already provided with the module. To use other converters, Install them on your server first.
Converter Shuffle: If this option is enabled, the conversion of the image is faster. It’s because the conversion takes place with whichever converter is found first on the server.
Encoding: There are 3 types of encoding available with the module.
- Lossy: Lossy compression method removes the unnoticeable data.
- Lossless: Lossless compression helps to keep the unnoticeable data.
- Auto: It will automatically select one of the encoding type from lossy & lossless.
Other advanced converter options are
- Automatic Filter: It enhances the quality of the image.
- Methods: Select ‘6’ to get the best image quality & fast conversion.
Image Converter Options
The module also allows you to configure the converter options specifically for JPEG & PNG images.
JPEG Converter Options
PNG Converter Options
Current Product Version - 4.0.2
Supported Framework Version - 1.7.x.x